Codification helps you build a more efficient government.
What is codification?
To "codify" means to arrange and systematize. Codification is the collection and organization of all your ordinances of a general and permanent nature into a numbered and stylized document that is easy-to-read and easy-to-access. Codifying can also include review and revision of your ordinances to correct conflicts and inconsistencies.
Developing your Code is a collaborative effort.
We'll work closely with you and your legal counsel to produce a single, reliable resource that will be a practical and efficient tool for your government officials and your citizens.
Your completed Code will be a useful resource for everyone in your community.
It will contain all of your administrative and regulatory laws of a general and permanent nature, modernized in accordance with statute as well as with actual conditions and practices of your local government. It will be published in an easy-to-use, expandable format designed to accommodate future legislation.
We're committed to helping you achieve your goals.
Your General Code Regional Representative will provide you with a proposal customized to meet your specific requirements. All proposals include firm price quotations based on existing information - no surprises, no hidden expenses. With General Code, you can afford to have a comprehensive and up-to-date Code that will provide a solid legislative framework for both local officials and your constituents.
As a municipal official, the decisions you make affect the quality of life of the citizens you serve.
There are many compelling reasons to codify:
- Fulfill a community obligation. It is the duty of every municipality to maintain its laws in a comprehensive, up-to-date and understandable form in a location that the average citizen can find and use.
- Avoid confusion and ensure accurate interpretation. By compiling your basic ordinances and all amendments into one up-to-date document, you eliminate the need to refer to many separate documents. The most current information will be easily accessible.
- Eliminate hours of frustrating research. A Code is a single reliable resource for appointed officials, enabling them to respond accurately to questions and provide certified copies quickly and efficiently.
- Support enforcement. A Code is a practical and efficient tool for your courts, police and other enforcement officials, enabling them to enforce your laws with confidence and consistency.
- Plan for the future. A Code provides a clear view of existing situations and makes it easier to determine the impact of proposed changes and amendments.
Benefits of Codification
- Provide easy access to accurate, up-to-date municipal information
- Gain control of municipal information and save countless hours of searches
- Help courts, police and other officials enforce laws with confidence and consistency
- Protect your community with costly legal actions
- Fulfill a community obligation
Learn more about our 5-Step Process!
Resolve any conflicts or inconsistencies in your Code with a detailed review.
New legislation is routinely checked against existing local law and state statute prior to adoption. However, as time passes and local officials come and go, conflicts or inconsistencies may appear in your Code.
A comprehensive Editorial Analysis by an experienced General Code editor will identify problems and provide recommendations for appropriate solutions. The editor will suggest practical ways to make your legislation more enforceable including a review of appropriate fees, fines, and penalties.
Our comments and recommendations will be presented in a unique workbook format.This type of format makes it easy for your municipal attorney and other local government officials to systematically discuss each section and select the option that works best for you and your community.
Your Code is an evolving document. Protect your investment by keeping your Code completely accurate and up-to-date.
Your Code is an evolving document.
To protect your investment and ensure that it continues to be an accurate and reliable resource, your Code should be kept up to date. As you enact new legislation and need to incorporate it into your Code, General Code's supplementation services are designed to make the process fast, simple and accurate. Learn More..
A current Code helps you to be more effective in serving your community.
With General Code, you choose the supplementation schedule that works best for you. You may want to update immediately whenever new legislation is adopted, or you may prefer a quarterly, semi-annual, or annual schedule. Learn More..
Get it off of your desk and onto ours.
We encourage our clients to forward new legislation to General Code as soon as it is adopted. Depending on the schedule you've chosen, we can then incorporate it into the Code immediately or post it to your eCode360 online service and hold it for the next regularly scheduled supplement.
We make it as convenient as possible for you to submit your legislation.
General Code offers many options for sending your new or updated legislation to us. You can send your updates to General Code by fax, mail or via e-mail or FTP.
We make distribution of your supplements efficient.
Our distributioni system makes it easy for you to keep track of Codes and ensure that they are being kept up-to-date. Each code volume is assigned a serial number and each supplement is individually packaged and labeled to correlate with the serial numbers assigned to the Code holders-every time. General Code can mail supplements directly to Code holders for your convenience too if you choose. Learn more..